Monday, February 22, 2010

Moving through Metro



I was assigned to spend an entire day on the metro, documenting the ebb and flow of passengers' commutes. I did several interviews and originally edited the piece incorporating those interviews. But as I neared the end of the edit, I realized the piece was becoming extremely boring. The comments people made about Metro were not novel sound bytes or expert opinions. People basically said the expected: most are somewhat concerned about their safety but they ride metro anyway because it's their best means of transportation. So instead of sharing thoughts that we all have already heard, I decided to try a more artsy approach. I grabbed some audio clips from Soundtrack Pro and edited the piece to the music. I sped some clips up and slowed some down and tried to create a more emotional scene piece. Here it is.

5 comments:

Seth said...

I just wanted to tell you I thought your metro piece was absolutely wonderful. I'm a transit planner myself, and I've always felt that the humanity of a city can be clearly seen by looking at the people in the most common of shared spaces. You've done a beautiful job capturing that.

William Couch said...

This rules, Whitney. I have a strange infatuation with public transit and I really like what you've captured here.

Unknown said...

excellent. visuals were great.

Kendra said...

Hi Whitney, I run the Our City Film Festival. I would love to chat with you about submitting some of your films. www.ourcityfilmfestival.com. Please get in contact with me as soon as is convenient for you. Thanks! Kendra@yachad-dc.org.

Best,
Kendra Rubinfeld

Tony D. said...

Whitney,
We met at the PAPBA conference a couple of weeks ago and briefly chatted about this project.

Wow. Really nice. Superb photography. Enjoyed the time lapse. Sharp editing. You really captured the human experience. The music was a great choice, too. All together, a moving motion picture.

Tony DePalma